BookWyrm instance for books and testing BookWyrm.
Social Reading and Reviewing
Code of Conduct
This BookWyrm instance, books.underscore.world, aims to provide a harassment-free experience for everyone. The administrator of this particular instance can be reached at @Dee@books.underscore.world, or via email at .
This code of conduct sets out guidelines of conduct for the members of this instance, as well as those expected in interactions with people from outside of this instance. This code of conduct is not meant to be an exhaustive set of bylaws, but a document listing general principles of expected behavior.
Types of harassment
- Offensive comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, mental illness, neuro(a)typicality, physical appearance, body size, race, immigration status, religion, or other identity marker. This includes anti-Indigenous/Nativeness and anti-Blackness.
- Unwelcome comments regarding a person's lifestyle choices and practices, including those related to food, health, parenting, drugs, and employment.
- Deliberate misgendering or use of "dead" or rejected names
- Gratuitous or off-topic sexual images or behavior in spaces where they're not appropriate
- Physical contact and simulated physical contact (eg, textual descriptions like "hug" or "backrub") without consent or after a request to stop.
- Threats of violence Incitement of violence towards any individual, including encouraging a person to commit suicide or to engage in self-harm
- Deliberate intimidation
- Harassing photography or recording, including logging online activity for harassment purposes
- Sustained disruption of discussion
- Unwelcome sexual attention
- Pattern of inappropriate social contact, such as requesting/assuming inappropriate levels of intimacy with others
- Continued one-on-one communication after requests to cease
- Deliberate "outing" of any aspect of a person's identity without their consent except as necessary to protect vulnerable people from intentional abuse
- Publication of non-harassing private communication
- Jokes that resemble the above, such as "hipster racism", still count as harassment even if meant satirically or ironically.
- Microaggressions, which take the form of everyday jokes, put downs, and insults that spread humiliating feelings to people of marginalized groups
The following will not be considered harassment:
- "Reverse"-isms, including "reverse racism," "reverse sexism," and "cisphobia"
- Reasonable communication of boundaries, such as "leave me alone," "go away," or "I'm not discussing this with you."
- Communicating in a "tone" you don't find congenial
- Criticism of racist, sexist, cissexist, or otherwise oppressive behavior or assumptions
Incidents of harassment can be reported via the software's "report" feature, or by contacting the administrator directly, via the channels listed above.
The administrator of this instance will use the measures available to them to halt harassing behavior, as needed.
The administrator of this instance may update this document at their discretion,
This code of conduct was adapted from the Code of Conduct of bookwyrm.social, which was adapted from the Code of Conduct of friend.camp, which ultimately was adapted from the LGBTQ in Technology Code of Conduct. It is available under the CC0 license. It was last updated on April 16th, 2021.